WHY SHOULD WE HIRE YOU?
The ultimate aim for an interviewer is to hire the most suitable candidate for the job. When they ask, ‘why should we hire you?’ they really mean ‘what makes you the best person for this job?’
It may feel as though you are being put on the spot when being asked this question, but try not to panic. I have a few tips for you that can help you in the future:
- PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE: I cannot stress this enough! Preparation is key, and like I have mentioned previously in this blog series, it puts your mind at ease, making you feel less stressed. I advise that for this question, you make a list of the job requirements, and alongside this, make a list of how and when you have demonstrated these traits/skills.
- Keep it concise: Your answer to this question should be like a sales pitch! If your answer is too long, you are much less likely to hook the interviewer, minimising your chance of being hired. I advise that you keep your answer to about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Accentuate your uniqueness: What makes you stand out from the other applicants? This is something you must try and emphasise when asked this question. Try and focus on skills that other interviewees may not possess. For example, if you have a specific skill relevant to the job that may not be common, mention it!
Best example answers
So, I have given you some advice on how to answer this question, but what should you be saying? According to the balance, these are some of the best possible answers that you can tailor to fit you and the job you have applied for:
- “I have excellent administrative skills and I believe I’d be an asset to the office. My skill set seems to be a perfect match for what you’re looking for. In addition, I enjoy working with people, and would welcome the opportunity to be a part of your team.”
- “Well, I have all of the skills and experience that you’re looking for and I’m confident that I would be a superstar in this project management role. It’s not just my background leading successful projects for top companies — or my people skills, which have helped me develop great relationships with developers, vendors, and senior managers alike, I’m also passionate about this industry and I’m driven to deliver high-quality work.”
What do you think about the interview tips this week? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Don’t forget to catch up next week when I’ll be offering tips for another interview question!