Welcome back to our interview question tips blog series, this week I have decided to focus on ‘why do you want this job?’ This question is very likely to be asked during most interviews, so I am going to give you some tips to help you in the future.
If you are up to date with this blog series you will know that I always stress the importance of preparation. With this question, if you don’t prepare, you will look foolish in your interview. Here are the top job interview question tips that I suggest for this question:
- Research the company: It is so important that you know who the company are, and what they do, before you go to an interview. It highlights to the interviewer that you use your own initiative, making it more likely for you to be successful. With this question if you find out aspects about the company that align with your own ideologies – such as their core values – make sure you mention them. This states to the interviewer that you really want to be a part of that team and will fit with their principles.
- Highlight what you can contribute: This can concern both your professional and personal qualities. Make a list of requirements for the job role and make a note of which requirements align with your skills. Discussing skills that match the job’s requirements will evidence that you are the perfect candidate for the job.
- Avoid points that focus on yourself: When discussing primary reasons you want the job, try to steer clear of points such as the commute, salary or hours (even if it is true) – these are just added bonuses. Don’t forget, you want to highlight how you can benefit the company, not how they can benefit you.
So, I’ve given you the top interview question tips, but how do you go about answering the question? Take a look at these examples, you should be able to tailor them to suit the job you are applying for (The Balance):
- “I have always admired this company’s successful strategies and mission. The fact that you prioritise creating a relationship between your company and the surrounding community have brought you success everywhere you have opened an office. There are values I greatly admire.”
- “The fact that this company prioritises their employees and teamwork are very important to me. I believe in working in an environment where individuals want to work together as a strong team, and I can clearly see that reflected here. It is values such as this that has led me to want to be here more than anywhere else.”
I hope you find these tips helpful. Do you have any more tips that you could add? Let us know in the comments below.
Don’t forget to keep up to date with the blog series next week where I will focus another common interview question.