INTERVIEW QUESTION TIPS: An interviewer will almost always ask why you want to work at that company. This is why I have decided to give you some hints and tips on how to answer this question in your future interviews.
Employers are eager to find out as much as they can about the candidates they interview to determine whether they would be ideal for the role. This question in particular has the ability to determine which candidates really want the job in question. A candidate who really wants a position are more inclined to invest genuine effort in bettering the company which is what an employer is essentially looking for.
There are a few things to think about when preparing for this question, and, with the help of The Balance, here are a few suggestions:
- Look at the company website: All company websites have an ‘about us’ section which highlights their core values. Having a close look at their values will allow you to determine what values of theirs align with your own ideologies. If your ideologies match, then this question is the perfect opportunity to discuss this.
- Make your goals match the company objectives: In addition to core values, companies usually post the company’s objectives on their website. Write a list of their objectives, and, next to each objective, write one of yours which is similar. This evidences to the interviewer that you will be able grow with the business, making you the ideal applicant for the position.
- Practise: I say this a lot when giving interview tips, but, practising your answer does help! Say your answer aloud, it could be anywhere: in the car, doing the hoovering or when you’re looking in the mirror doing your hair. When you practise frequently before your interview, you are less likely to get tongue tied or waffle on about irrelevant topics, the practise will make you feel prepared and ready to take on that interview!
If you keep these 3 tips in mind, it will put you at ease when you begin your interview process. However, you’re probably thinking that I haven’t given you any sample answers, well… take a look at these (you can tailor them to fit the company you have applied for):
- “Well, the company’s reputation is certainly a factor. I would be proud to work for a company with such a long history of leadership in the industry. Also, a good friend of the family has been working in the marketing department here for the last two years and has informed me that the culture supports learning and development on the job – and really rewards hard work.”
- “I want to work for this company because the tone and style of your band is something I deeply associate with – it’s part of my own philosophy. You market yourselves to a millennial audience and, as a millennial with two years’ of experience in marketing; I know I’d make a valuable addition to your team as the tone of the brand and what it stands for comes naturally to me.”
Although these example answers won’t be relevant to all of you, it is possible to easily tailor them to suit your needs. These answers just highlight the kind of things you could mention. Next time you’re preparing for an interview, keep these tips in mind and I’m sure it’ll put your mind at ease.
Well, this brings this week’s advice ‘Interview Question Tips’ to an end, do you have any more tips to answer this interview question? I’d love to hear them. Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to keep a look out for my next interview advice blog.